Tuesday, June 30, 2009

The Week Michael Jackson Died


Michael Jackson died. I’m told by many that he was a great entertainer. I have no right to judge whether or not that is true. I assume it is. In my opinion, the greatest entertainer of my generation was Sammy Davis, Jr. He was a great dancer, singer, comedian, impressionist and actor. There wasn’t much fanfare when Sammy died. I don’t know much of anything about what is now called “pop”. I do know that the definition of pop has changed a lot in the last fifty years. I also know that I know a lot less of what is going in the world because Michael died. With exhaustive research I have found out:
  1. that the Supreme Court overruled the lower court’s decision in the white firefighters case in New Haven

  2. that there was a coup in Honduras by the military overthrowing the country’s president

  3. that Madoff was sentenced to 150 years in prison

  4. that the Iran Council certified the election

  5. that police officials were killed in Kandahar

  6. that the ruling party in Argentina was defeated

  7. that Russia began war games near Georgia

  8. that college loan payments have been lowered

  9. that the Governor of South Carolina is a hypocrite

  10. that the NY State Senate refuses to meet, etc. etc. etc.

  11. mostly I know that every day thousands are being killed in Somalia, Iraq, Iran, Pakistan and in our own cities people are starving.

  12. that American troops have been pulled out of Iraqi cities

  13. that some innocent people are still in Guantanamo

With all due respect to a great entertainer, I had to dig to find out about the things I listed above.

What’s the point? I guess I just don’t get it. I also don’t get why the O.J. Simpson trial was such a big deal or why a person named Petersen killing one or more of his wives is more important than global warming or health care in this country.

Certainly the truth as to how Michael died is important but is it that much more important than the hundreds who have been murdered since I began writing this blog?

No comments:

Post a Comment